Saturday, September 29, 2012

Roar Lions Roar



Stand up and cheer for old Columbia!

For today we raise
The Blue and White above the rest.
Our boys are fighting
And they are bound to win the fray.
We've got the team!
We've got the steam!
For this is old Columbia's day!

Well, not today...Princeton scored on the first kick-off of of the first game of the season, and the rest was history. But why would I care about if that group of 100 recently-boys won or not? I had a bottle of carrot juice, a bag full of Critical Race Theory articles, and a group of international students to keep me entertained. And if that's not good old American football, I don't know what is. 

 The Columbian army

A guy from China explained the rules to me, for the 100th time in my life. Due to the low-level of playing, I think I started to get it this time. There are four downs and they have to go 10 yards. Yes! I got to explain tail-gating to him, so at least I had something to show for being a product of a culture that holds its football dear.  Now, if someone could explain to me what the band was doing the whole time, I would feel like my expertise was complete.

Band People

But alas, no one had any idea of why some of the musicians didn't have instruments and were rolling around on the grass while the flutists and tuba players gyrated along to their rendition of...I don't know what song. Roar Lion Roar?  Speaking of Lions, Roar-y is kind of creepy. His plastic eyes look blood-shot :
Roar-y looking on with undisguised pride

No comments:

Post a Comment