Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My New House Makes Me Go On The Internet

óla gente

Who am I writing to, anyway? Maybe I should say "óla, Julia", my one and only official reader :)

Anyway, I have moved to the decrepit and charming Santa Theresa. It's kind of like if a tourist moved into...hm, well, if Brattle Street were winding up a mountain, and the mountain was in the middle of the Bronx, and it was haunted and colonized by hipsters, that would be the equivilant. It's kinda cool, but also kind of impractical and creepy.

The walk down...
And, to contrast completely with that description (you just have to see it to get how it all goes together, I guess), today I jumped on the Bunge (street car) to get downtown. In Santa Theresa, we have several modes of transportation: walking (prefered), taxi, omnibus, moto-taxi, and street car. Everything with wheels is a little dicey, because the narrow road into the bairro is composed of hair-pins and cobblestones. It has been rainy since my move, and the combination of tires, slick rock, hair-pins and no space is just not fun. So I've been walking a lot. But I changed my pace and jumped on the street car today. It's free if you hang off the side :) , so everyone is doing that (yeah, me too, 'cause there were no seats left), and it's just like The Music Man! People were singing and clapping, I don't know why. And we just wind our way down, clanging the bell, tooting the horn, singing and...hanging on. There is one particularly "thump thump thump went my heartstrings" part, over the Lapa Viaduct arches, where you're way up above everything and just hanging over...

Now I'm going to go home early because I don't know how to get home late at night :(

My arch nemisis: Pigeons are gross

No comments:

Post a Comment