Monday, March 15, 2010

Back to Patagonia


I have ruined the elegance of my journey- I´m back in Patagonia. In Chile, in fact. Tomorrow I will hike the 9 day cuircuit of Torres del Paine. Woohoo!

Mmmm...Ice.

Before yo crucé la frontera, I visited El Calafate in Argentina and its amazing Glacier Perito Moreno. Wow. I have seen a few glaciers by now...this one was unlike anything I´ve ever seen. It is hard for me to describe accurately. What looks like an infinate flow of ice looming before you, measuring 50 meters high in the front, where the glacier is crushing in on itself. I saw it calve into the lake around it, silently ("Like the perfect dive" said some guy standing nearby), and heard little pieces of ice falling down the glaciers ravines with loud crashes and cracks. 

Glacier Perito Moreno

The ice becomes blue when the sun goes away, because the light refracts inside of the really compact, ancient water. It glows blue! I walked on the glacier, and it just added to my awe. I would like to say that, as I stood by this ancient, awesome, fluid rock of ice, I realized how small and temporary and beautiful my own existence is. But I didn´t really realize that. At least the glacier reminded me to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment